WALK WITH EASE
Feet First partners with communities across Washington to expand access to the Walk with Ease program, an evidence-based walking program created to help adults with arthritis and other chronic conditions build mobility, strength, and confidence in walking.
What is Walk With Ease?
Walk with Ease is a community-based walking program created by the Arthritis Foundation. It promotes physical activity, health, and wellness for adults looking to improve their mobility and strength through walking. This program is a low-barrier, low-cost way to serve adults in your community and can be adapted to a variety of settings, indoor or outdoor.
Every Walk With Ease class:
- uses an evidence-based curriculum
- meets 3 times a week for 6 weeks
- welcomes anyone looking to be more active, especially adults with chronic conditions like arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, and more
- includes a walk, stretching and strengthening exercises, and health education discussions
Research studies on this class demonstrate that Walk With Ease reduces pain, increases balance, strength, and confidence in walking, and improves overall health in participants.
Three Ways to Offer the Class
- Classes meet 3 times a week at a set location: a park, mall, walking path, community center, or other gathering spot
- Participants warm up, stretch, walk, and cool down together
- Permitted in counties where small gatherings are allowed; masking and social distancing measures are encouraged
- One instructor for every 15 participants
- Class sessions occur online at least once a week that cover all aspects of the curriculum except for the walking portion
- Classes can meet through Zoom, Facebook groups, and other forms of online video conferencing and social media
- Participants conduct the walking portion of the curriculum on their own or with family and friends
Become a Class Instructor
Feet First works with community-based organizations to offer Walk with Ease as either an in-person or virtual class to encourage participants to get active in a safe and healthy way. We provide organizations with technical assistance, marketing materials, and ongoing implementation and evaluation support. Financial assistance for class start-up costs may be available as well.
Resources for Community Organizations
“My sister and I are enjoying our walks. We have a great place to walk in my trailer park. Paved roads, very little traffic, pretty yards, and trees to look at and friendly neighbors to greet. I am so happy about this program. I needed the motivation boost again.”
– Walk With Ease participants