WALK WITH EASE
What is Walk With Ease?
Walk with Ease is a community-based physical activity program created by the Arthritis Foundation. The 6-week class promotes physical activity, health, and wellness for adults looking to improve their mobility and strength through walking. This program is a low-barrier, low-cost way to serve adults in your community and can be adapted to a variety of settings, indoor or outdoor.
- uses an evidence-based curriculum
- meets 3 times a week for 6 weeks
- welcomes anyone looking to be more active, especially adults with chronic conditions like arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, and more
- includes a group walk, stretching and strengthening exercises, and health education discussions
Become a Class Instructor
Currently we are offering Walk with Ease as a virtual class to encourage participants to continue walking in a safe and healthy way during the COVID-19 pandemic. We provide organizations who lead the class with technical assistance, marketing materials, and ongoing implementation and evaluation support. Financial assistance for class start-up costs may be available as well. We work with senior centers, community centers, local YMCAs, parks and recreation departments, and other community organizations to bring this program to communities across the state.
- The same curriculum as in-person classes, shared with participants in both weekly emails and online class meetings (through Zoom, Facebook, or other available options)
- Online pre- and post-class evaluations
- Online teacher training through afaa.org for $89 (the CPR/First Aid requirement is waived for virtual classes only)
- A participant guidebook that is mailed to participants or offered for pick-up
“My sister and I are enjoying our walks. We have a great place to walk in my trailer park. Paved roads, very little traffic, pretty yards, and trees to look at and friendly neighbors to greet. I am so happy about this program. I needed the motivation boost again.”
– Walk With Ease participants